I’d been thinking about writing this blog post for months and now is the right time, I guess. I had seen a somewhat similar topic on this week’s Top Ten Tuesday (but I don’t participate in it), and I decided to write about the changes I’ve discovered in my reading habits ever since I’ve started blogging about books. So, let’s get started.
1. I write my thoughts about a book while reading it
I always forget what I think while reading a book, so I have to write down my thoughts about the book and the things I need to mention in my review of it. So, that has definitely changed. Before I was a book blogger, I didn’t have to note it down.
2. I don’t reread books as often as I used to
Before my blog came into existence, I used to reread every book I purchased, and I used to be happy when the book was longer because I just loved reading and knowing the characters so much. Now, I don’t reread books but I’m glad I’m getting to know about so many new stories.
3. I read so many different genres now: When I’d first started reading books, I used to read Young Adult realistic books especially set in high school because that’s what I related the most to. I’ve started reading so many different kinds of books now. I read YA, NA, literary fiction, non-fiction, dystopian, poetry, and even anthologies. I’m always trying to read outside of my comfort zone and expand it.
4. I purchase more books than before: Before I only used to purchase about four or five books a year and I would read them and re-read them. Now, I purchase three to four books a month because I have to write about them on my blog.
5. I read shorter books: Before, I used to read books that were long usually. I didn’t really care if a book was 700 pages long. Now, ever since I’ve started writing book reviews, I like it when I find a short book, and when I actually have to read a big book, I procrastinate. I read graphic novels and books told in verses and I’m reading a book told in text messages, which is cool and they’re really short, which is a “plus point”.
6. I read *almost* every day:
Before I started blogging, I used to read whenever I was bored. Now, I read almost every day. And I really like the fact that I can read so many books in a year. I also feel incomplete without a book, and I always read before bed.
7. I worry because of reading: Not sure how to explain it, but reading was an activity I used to do to de-stress. However, after I started my blog, I started stressing out about it, comparing my readings with other people’s. I don’t do it anymore since September and my stress level has waned A LOT. But yeah, blogging used to give me stress.
8. I don’t read book series‘: Before, I used to love reading series and follow the stories of the characters. I barely read new series’ now, and whenever I do, I just don’t like it when it has more than three books! I also prefer standalones!
I’m really happy that I read books and write about them. Most of the changes that have occurred in my life because of reading and blogging have been positive. I enjoy writing about books, and I really love writing on my blog, which is something I hadn’t really expected when I had started it. So…
Has blogging changed your reading habits? How? Let’s talk in the comments below.
Find me on: